Philips Health Tech businesses, €10 billion division of global Royal Philips (NYSE: PHG).
Pigeonholed as a medical device company, Philips Health Tech businesses (12 of them!) sought to reposition itself as an innovative provider of health technology solutions and services. The company also wanted to shift its communications strategy from an event-centered approach to a more proactive and sustainable model, while achieving greater consistency across business groups.
We developed a comprehensive, new approach to Philips communications strategy and tactics, including:
- Developing a storytelling framework that presents Philip’s capabilities, products and expertise in the context of today’s HealthTech businesses market challenges.
- Gathered compelling points of view (POVs) on key topics, drawn from interviews of 20+ Philips executives. These formed the basis of proactive media pitches for an ongoing thought leadership campaign.
- Conducted customized storytelling trainings to ensure Philips executives delivered their POVs in a consistent way, with maximum impact.
- Worked with Philips’ in-house team to build a more compelling and streamlined news pipeline, focusing on stories that resonate effectively with the media.
In less than six months, the LPP team:
- Secured consistent coverage of Philips POVs in key media outlets, including USA Today, Wall Street Journal, Forbes, Fast Company, Wired, Network World, Boston Business Journal, The Atlantic, and Huffington Post—while maintaining visibility in core trade publications.
- Secured relationship-building interviews with TIME, S. News and World Report, The Boston Globe, and InformationWeek.
- Drove the most successful news launch in Philips history, leading media strategy and press release development for the company’s Google Glass initiative—a first-of-its-kind prototype integrating Philips monitoring data with Google Glass for use in the operating room.
- Helped Philips derive an estimated $40 million in PR value, while solidifying the company’s position as a health technology leader.